Investigator jailed for sexual assault


Two women, who were sexually assaulted by a serving Essex Police Crime Scene Investigator (CSI), have been thanked for their bravery after he was sentenced to two years in prison.

Kevin Dowley, 62, of Burgess Avenue, Stanford-le-Hope was found guilty in September of two counts of sexual assault by touching and was sentenced on Monday, November 19.
Dowley’s trial heard he assaulted two women who had been victims of crime in 2016 while in the course of his role as a CSI.

He was found guilty of pulling down a pregnant woman’s leggings and putting his hand down a burglary victim’s dungarees.

He assaulted one of the women while gathering evidence following a burglary at an address in Brentwood in July 2016 and the second woman at Grays Police Station on August 20 as he took photos of injuries she had sustained following an assault.

Assistant Chief Constable Nick Downing, Head of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “I want to pay tribute to the bravery of the victims for coming forward.

“They had the courage to face Dowley in court and gave evidence under great scrutiny where they had their integrity attacked and had outrageous claims made against their character.

“I cannot begin to understand how difficult it must have been to face that as well as going through the ordeal of reliving the assaults. I am in total admiration for their strength and I am pleased we were able to help secure a conviction for them.

“I hope this sentence helps rebuild their trust in Police.
“Essex Police will always provide support for those who come forward to report a crime and

I want anyone who has been a victim of crime to feel confident in reporting it to us.

“Kevin Dowley was in a position of trust as a Crime Scene Investigator which he breached. He was meant to be there to help these women but he abused his position which is completely unacceptable.

“Dowley’s actions go against everything we stand for as a force and I am truly sorry that a member of our staff could do this.”

He was initially arrested on September 21, 2016, after the incident in Grays was reported, interviewed, released on bail, and suspended from his role while the investigation continued.

The incident in Brentwood was reported in February, 2017 at which point Dowley was voluntarily interviewed again.

He was summonsed to appear at in court on March 29, 2018 where he was charged with two counts of sexual assault by touching.
Following a nine day trial at Basildon Crown Court, he was found guilty of both counts by a majority verdict on September 13.

At the same court, he was jailed for two years for each count with the sentences to run concurrently, given a Sexual Harm Prevention Order for 10 years, put on the Sex Offenders Register for 10 years and ordered to pay £2,000 costs. At a misconduct he was found guilty of gross misconduct and was dismissed without notice.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here