Extended sentence for Romford sex offender

0
318

ROMFORD paedophile Neil Wilson, whose case has provoked outrage across the country, has had his sentence extended by four months on a technicality.

The 41-year-old was originally handed down an eight month suspended sentence at Snaresbrook Crown Court last week, after admitting engaging in sexual activity with a 13-year- old girl from Romford. This charge was alongside separate counts of making indecent images.

The case gathered a huge amount of national attention when prosecutor Robert Colover described the victim as sexually experienced and “predatory” during the trial. He has since been suspended from working on sexual offence cases pending a review by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

A CPS spokesperson said: “The language used by prosecution counsel was inappropriate. The transgressor in this case was the defendant and he bears responsibility for his criminal acts.

“The word predatory in this context should not have been used and is of real concern to the CPS. It is not consistent with the work that we have undertaken alongside the judiciary and others in the past year to improve attitudes towards victims of abuse.

“The DPP will be undertaking a review of this case to determine what happened and what action needs to be taken.”

Prime Minister David Cameron has even spoken out about the case, saying the CPS is “absolutely right” to label Colover’s complaints inappropriate. Also, Judge Nigel Peters QC is being investigated by the Office for Judicial Complaints for saying that his sentence took into account how the girl looked and acted.

On Monday, 12 August, Wilson’s sentence was extended in a brief hearing at Snaresbrook, where it was changed to a 12 months suspended sentence. At the hearing Judge Peters made no reference to the furore the case has provoked.

The judge made clear that this extension had nothing to do with sexual activity with the minor but instead said he was revoking a community order and imposing additional suspended jail terms for two counts involving indecent photographs and another indictment for five counts of possessing extreme pornographic images.

He said that adding the suspended sentence corresponded with the reduction of the supervision aspect from three to two years.

A sexual offences prevention order remains in place.

Wilson still faces his sentence being reviewed by attorney general Dominic Grieve, who has agreed to examine the case.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here