Southend shine

Southend 40, Chinnor 24

SOUTHEND welcomed Chinnor to Warners Park on Saturday and to the delight of their fans put on an impressive display of committed, fast running rugby.

They started the game on the back foot defending desperately against the mobile Chinnor pack. They were soon committing offences and being penalised by referee Thomas Davis. He eventually ran out of patience and yellow carded Saxon prop Aston Bevons-Royston.

Chinnor continued to press and were awarded the penalty try they deserved. It was converted by stand-off Mark Davies 0-7.
Saxons needed some ball to play with and suddenly they got it, forcing a penalty. Brad Burr stepped up and sunk the kick 3-7. Two minutes later he took a perfect line collected a reverse pass and dashed under the posts to touch down, his successful conversion took the score to 10-7.

Southend’s lead did not last long though as Chinnor prop Andrew Berry rumbled over for their second try of the game. Davies slotted the conversion and they were back in the lead 10-14.

Before the break the Saxons scored a fabulous try. They attacked fast and hard with the ball passing from hand to hand until it reached Ian Meads who darted over the line for The Saxons 3rd try of the game. Burrs conversion took the score to 17-14 and a lead they were never to relinquish.

The Saxons looked like adding to their try tally when again some impressive ball handling took them close to the Chinnor line.

Chinnor’s wing Robert Martey was left with little choice but to stick his hand out to stop what looked likely to be the final pass before a touch down. The ball bounced forward and was picked up by one of the Saxon backs who charged forward unopposed not realising the whistle had sounded for a deliberate knock on by Martey who was sent to the bin for 10 minutes.

Mr Davis did not award a penalty try so Brad Burr took the penalty kick to finish the half at 20-14.

The second half continued in the same vein as the first half ended, it only took two minutes for the impressive Ian Meads finished off another scintillating exchange of passes to score his second out wide. No conversion but a healthier lead at 25-14.

Six minutes later Sam Fombo got in on the act with a well worked forwards try, Burr converted it taking the score to 32-14.
After 60 minutes Southend started to ring the changes, Smith coming on for Fombo and Strachan for Bailey. Chinnor lock Burns galloped over for they’re third of the day reducing the difference at 32-19.

Burr extended it again with another successful penalty kick 4 minutes later. 35-19

The Saxons had not finished though attacking swiftly down the left wing, again some bamboozling passes resulted in Sonny Gay racing down the line breaking tackles as he went. The touchdown was the final Saxon score of the day taking them to a 40-19 lead.

More replacements followed with what looked to be only 10 minutes left, however the clock had not taken into consideration the 10 minutes injury time so Chinnor had 20 minutes to manufacture another try and secure a bonus point. They managed it with seconds to go through centre Fatialofa leaving the final score Saxons 40, Chinnor 24.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here