AN explosion caused a chemical leak at an industrial chemical plant on Sunday.
Firefighters were called to the plant on Stoneness Road, Thurrock at around 9am.
The explosion took place in a chemical scrubbing machine and created a rupture which caused the leak of a chemical - believed to be chlorine. The chemical did not cause a fire.
One man suffered the effects of inhaling the chemical and was assisted by crews and left in the care of the Ambulance Service.
Six crews tackled the leak and completed clearing the scene by 10.30am.
Assistant Divisional Officer Mark Turnbull said: "There had been an explosion which caused a chemical release. Although one man suffered the effects of inhalation the chemical there was no risk to anyone else in the surrounding area.
"Firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the building, ensured that the chemical supply was isolated and made the building safe. One man was assisted to safety by the crews.
"Crews did an excellent job and it is thanks to them that this incident was resolved as quickly as it was.”