AN elderly woman was saved from a house fire in Benfleet thanks to her smoke alarm.
Firefighters were called to a fire in a house, in Parkfields, Benfleet on Sunday, 22 April.
The fire started in the bathroom and the house was 100 per cent smoke logged.
Assistant Divisional Officer Mark Turnbull said: "A woman in her seventies was woken by her smoke alarm sounding, alerting her to a fire that had broken out in her bathroom.
"The lady did exactly the right thing, she called 999, got out of the house and waited for the fire service to arrive to tackle the blaze.
"Crews from Rayleigh Weir had previously fitted the smoke alarm in the property.
“Incidents like this show how important smoke alarms are. They provide vital early warning at the first sign of fire giving everyone in the home the chance to get safely out before calling the fire service.
“A smoke alarm is the most important piece of equipment in any home. It is vital that smoke alarms are properly fitted and regularly tested.
“Relying on a passerby to warn of a fire is just not the best way to protect you and your family. A smoke alarm will sound at the first sign of fire, day or night. Just three breaths of toxic smoke can be enough to kill if you are sleeping when a fire breaks out.”
Crews wore breathing apparatus and used one hose reel to extinguish the fire by 12.17am.
ECFRS carries out home fire safety visits to vulnerable memebrs of the community, call 0845 6012495